Originally published at Food Network
Three Bean and Beef Chili
This budget meal won’t leave you feeling hungry. Instead, you’ll get your fill of lean protein, fiber, antioxidants, and the smoky, savory flavor of cumin and chipotle chilis.
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Calories: 295; Total Fat: 8 grams; Sat. Fat: 2.5 grams; Cholesterol: 37 milligrams; Sodium: 512 milligrams; Carbohydrates: 35 grams; Dietary Fiber: 10 grams; Protein: 22 grams Sugar: 8 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (90 percent lean)
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef; raise the heat to high and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle and adobo sauce, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.