Originally published at Good Housekeeping
Light Chicken Cacciatore
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Calories: 300, 10 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 36 g protein, 690 mg sodium, 15 g carb, 3 g fiber.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- Kosher salt
- 10 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 c. dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1/2 c. pitted green olives
- 1/4 c. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Quarter the mushrooms, slice the onion, red pepper and garlic
- Heat oil in lg. deep skillet on medium-high.
- Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to plate.
- Add mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate with chicken.
- Lower heat to medium and add onion, red pepper, garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes (and their juices).
- Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, nestling chicken in tomatoes, and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Fold in kale and cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Uncover, discard bay leaf and stir in olives and parsley.