Originally published at Food Network
Healthified Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Calories: 230; Total Fat: 8 grams; Sat. Fat: 4.5 grams; Cholesterol 20 milligrams; Sodium: 360 milligrams; Carbohydrates: 26 grams; Dietary Fiber: 4 grams; Protein: 16 grams Sugar: 10 grams
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red-skinned potato, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- One 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Separate the stems and the florets from the broccoli.
- Trim and discard the bottom of the broccoli stems and peel the tough outer layers.
- Finely chop the stems and coarsely chop the florets and set aside separately.
- Mist a large pot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add the broccoli stems, onions and potatoes and cook, stirring, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the reserved florets and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and continue to steam until the florets are bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the entire contents of the pot with the florets to the soup along with the nutmeg.
- Stir to combine and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the Cheddar, Worcestershire and milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the scallions.
- Leftover soup should be reheated in the microwave rather than the stovetop, where the cheese will “break” or separate from the broth.