Originally published at Good Housekeeping
Ham and Spinach Make-Ahead Quiche
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Pie Crust – store-bought or homemade
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 c. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 bag baby spinach
- 4 oz. thick-cut deli ham
Prepare the pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line the pie crust dough with parchment paper or foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove liner and weights.
- Bake another 10 to 13 minutes, or until the edge is golden and the bottom is no longer raw.
- Cool slightly on wire rack.
Make the custard:
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon salt – set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium-high.
- Add 1 onion and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add water.
- Cover; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in baby spinach, cook 2 minutes or until just wilted, tossing.
- Cool slightly; stir into custard along with the ham.
- Pour custard, spinach, and ham mixture into prepared pie crust
- Bake in 375 degrees F oven 35 to 45 minutes or until center is just set.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Bake one (or more) the night before, cover, and refrigerate until morning. Reheat at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until warm