Originally published at Cooking Light
Carne Asada Bowls
Yield: 4 Servings
Calories 369; Fat 15.1g; Sat fat 3.6g; Monofat 6.9g; Polyfat 1g; Protein 28g; Carbohydrate 31g; Fiber 10g; Cholesterol 56mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 486mg; Calcium 133mg; Sugars 4g
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-oz.) flank steak
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 1 ounce tortilla chips
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 lime wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Place steak on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut across the grain into slices; cut slices into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Add oil to pan; swirl.
- Add onion; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, stock, and beans to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cook 4 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Divide lettuce among 4 shallow bowls.
- Top evenly with bean mixture, steak, tomato, tortilla chips, and avocado.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges.